1. Today can be great, but only if we make it so – Why do we often feel so powerless or helpless? Because we convince ourselves that we are. We wait for things to be given to us, instead of using our innate gifts to make things happen. In life, there are no true entitlements, and the truth is that if we want something, we need to make it happen for ourselves. Whether or not today is a great day depends entirely on our attitude – which is in our sole control. It doesn’t depend on anyone else. If you want to have a great day, then choose to have one!
2. There is a lot we can control – There are plenty of things in life that are out of our control, but don’t believe that your life as a whole is out of your control. The reality is the lives we are living are almost entirely by our own design. We make many little choices along the way that guide us down the road we’re currently traveling.
3. Success is a lifestyle, not a result – We all want to achieve success, but we need to remember that success in not a specific achievement. Success is not crossing over some arbitrary finishing line. Success is not a pursuit; what we pursue will elude us. Rather, it is the ability to fight the good fight, day in and day out. Success is strength – the strength to keep pushing and to keep living our lives on our own terms. Success is a state of being.
4. Your focused presence matters – While modern technology can be life-changing in many beneficial ways, there is an aspect of this technology that greatly interferes with our lives and relationships. Do not be so addicted to a screen that you miss out on the opportunity to enjoy real life unfolding all around you. Learn to disconnect from technology. Connect with people using your full and undivided attention. Do not seek mindless stimulation on a screen; instead focus on nurturing real human connections.
5. Today is a blessing – Think about how many people die every minute of every day and you’ll begin to realize that waking up in the morning is a blessing. We don’t live in a world of perpetual peace, but one laden with bouts of chaos. On top of this, accidents do happen and people get severely injured and die because of them. Getting another day to breathe, to experience life, and to do something meaningful is the greatest gift one can receive. Make today count!